Learn Rapid Software Testing James Bach
What is Rapid Software Testing (RST) or Rapid Software Testing Methodology?
Rapid Software Testing Methodology a Context Driven Testing Approach for any product that involves software, authored by James Bach to Take control of your work. So, RST Testing the world for tomorrow
Rapid Software Testing or Rapid Software Testing Methodology introduced by James Bach, a well-known human personality in the software testing industry. RST is a growing need for software development, it is all about early, and efficient testing in today’s fast-paced software development environment.
RST testing is a unique and complete methodology of exploratory software testing or context driven testing. As the name suggests some of us may refer to it as quick testing, but it is not at all a quick testing. It is like exploratory testing which RST tester does.
According to James Bach, Rapid Software Testing is a methodology for the responsible testing of software. But it is not the kind of methodology that comes encased in rules and templates. It is rather a mind-set (a way of thinking, ethics, and ontology of testing) and a skillset
“Things that you know how to do, such as performing a heuristic risk analysis.”
James Bach, the co-author of the Rapid Software Testing (RST testing) methodology, recently spoke with SD Times about the practice, what benefits can be derived from it, and how organizations can adopt it for their own use.
What sets Rapid Software Testing apart from other software testing methodologies?
- Rapid Software testing is a humanist approach to testing things.
- Focused on peoples who doing testing. According to this anyone who can logically test the System is a rst tester irrespective of the Job Role as a Software tester.
- This methodology focused on artifacts. Artifacts are a side effect of being a responsible software tester.
- As Per Rapid software Testing concept RST tester is always ready to explain, defend or be fully accountable for the testing that he is doing over single or multiple systems.
- It is not about learning of software testing but it’s about to Inherit approach to test anything. It based on the mental model that RST tester makes about the product, users and risks irrespective of the V-Model.
- Unlike the V-model or the waterfall model you know that you already know everything, RST software testing approaches the learning on the go while doing testing.
- RST testing can be changed, enhanced, extended, ownable during practicing it. You can make your own versions. It is simply not emerging as a result of community discussion.
- Having said that, there are heuristic models within rapid software testing that inform specific ways of software testing and specifically what to test. I think RST is the only testing methodology that explicitly addresses heuristics as well as carving out a specific role for tacit knowledge.
Benefits of Rapid Software Testing
- It allows you to test with honesty
- It makes you responsible for the tasks.
- It guides you to take accountability of your work
- With this approach, tester will not waste the time to do rubbish things
- It’s not followed by any documentations
Note: If you want to practice the rapid software testing approach you can use Mindmapper to get your ideas about how to test in visualizes manner.
The transition over Rapid Software testing or RST Testing Model
- Changing to Rapid Software Testing usually means de-emphasizing and de-fetishizing artifacts.
- Stop counting the test scenarios or test cases from a requirement.
- Test case are not actually for testing these are just for the documentation & documentation is not testing
- Implementing it is just like a personal discipline.
- You need to know how to listen & read then interpret the software/module flow and operations
Image credit: https://www.satisfice.com/
RST is a mindset and skillset so that these people can think straight and take responsibility for whatever testing they do.
“The basic meaning of Rapid Software testing is a way to find a critical problem in a very short span of time under a difficult condition.”
Rapid Software Testing Methodology Bullet Points tips By James Marcus Bach:
- Take control of your own work
- Stop doing things that aren’t helping
- Embrace exploration and experimentation
- Focus on product risk
- Use lightweight, flexible heuristics to guide your work
- Use the most concise form of documentation that solves the problem
- Use tools to speed up the work
- Explain your testing and its value
- Grow your skills so that you can do all of the above
- RST Testing the world for tomorrow